Friday, May 21, 2010

FREE DAY at Xcaret!!!

Xcaret is a popular tourist spot here in the Riviera Maya. We have always wanted to go but could never stomach the 127.00USD per person entry fee.
Well we found out that every year they have a celebration to reenact a scared Mayan Ritual to their goddess Ixchel. And if you arrive before 5:30am you can get in the gate for free. Now how can you pass up FREE?
So when you get up at 3:30am and its POURING rain you really start to wonder if you should wear clothes or just start off with your swimsuit (swimsuit won) So off we went at
4:15am so we could get there by 4:30. There was already a line that weaved in an out and around like a long snake. The good thing was that is was pitch black out so we had no idea how long it really was. But let me tell you there were bus loads of people there at that insane hour!

We got our wristbands to get in a hurried over to watch the ceremony and the Canoe´s leave for their journey to Cozumel.
Thankfully it had stopped raining just before the Ceremony and we had great seats next to the canoe´s
From Xcaret
After we decided to head home and have a nap. Since you had your wristband you could come and go as you pleased.
We didn't head back until after 2 we were trying to coordinate with Hopsia´s but Sissy fell off their deck flat on her back when a piece of the wood railing broke off. Keltie could hear her from here and ran over to help, the rest of us were sleeping so we didn't know what had happened until we woke up. They had to head to the hospital for Xrays but everything miraculously turned out ok aside from some bruises and some much needed rest. She was out walking around a few days later.

I´d have to say My two favorites at the park were the underground river and the night show.
The underground river was really fun and COLD but I sucked it up (I'm so getting a wet suit when we are in Canada next) The River went though a deep canyon that passed though tunnels mangroves and we even went though a building with a beautiful stained glass roof.
From 2010

From Xcaret
The night show was in a HUGE auditorium and we were almost to the roof but you could see all the beautiful traditional dances from all the different States in Mexico. I'm really glad we went on a day when allot of Mexican´s were there, I think it really added to the experience. When certain favorite songs started the whole auditorium went up in a huge cheer, I had goose bumps all over.
From Xcaret
The Dances were amazing the costumes absolutely gorgeous. I kept saying to Rodolfo, ¨I want that costume!¨ One of these days I'm going to come back with one of those beautiful traditional costumes and wear it for Halloween!
After the show the day was done and we headed back to PaaMul. I have to say it took us 2 days to recover from having so much fun!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some very cool things - glad you could have such a good time!!