Monday, February 25, 2008

The Crazy Adventures of Shannon and Natalie

Well it’s a new week and its going to go smoother I just know it!
Last week was full of crazy Mexican adventures.
It all started when I went to head to the airport in Cancun to pick up my cousin Shannon so she would have a relaxing week on the Riviera Maya, Well I’m not exactly sure how relaxing it was but now when you look back at it now it sure does seem humorous.

As I was driving into Cancun I got to an intersection to Costco just as the light started to turn yellow. Now in Mexico the yellow lights flash 3 times before they turn red so I’m thinking I have lots of time to get though, well the car in front of me didn’t end up going as fast as it was a few seconds before so I ended up going under the light just as it turned red. Still I thought close but ok. So I’m driving along and a police truck comes up and yelling something in Spanish at me which I figure must be pull over.
When he comes over he starts talking in Spanish and of course I look completely confused. So he speaks ok English, and tells me I went though a red light.
Ok I never went though a RED light, I tell him after I started going though the intersection it had just flashed yellow once so I thought had had time.
He asked if I lived here or just vacation and I said we just moved here and it was my first time driving in Cancun...usually my husband always drove. So he says ok he’ll talk to his partner.
He comes back and says quite quickly do you want to pay the ticket here or at the police station? and since he said it so fast I said,” what" and looked confused...That’s when he said ok just go! THANK GOODNESS! So away I went to Costco.

When I got out of Costco Jamin and I were now running later than I wanted, We had 15 min to get to the airport (which should have been no problem plus Shannon still had to clear customs) So we hop in the van and it wont start....it turns over has lots of battery but wont start. So I call Chad and he suggests this fuel stuff you put in your gas tank if there is water in it. So I run FAST over to the Mega to get the stuff, and guess what?.... it’s all in Spanish!!! (Big surprise eh?) So I’m trying to figure out which stuff is which. I grab what I think it is and try and ask another person who only speaks a little English while I’m in line.I still think I have the right thing, pour it in the tank and wait for a few min....still nothing, So next I say to Jamin we need to get to the airport Shannon’s plane has already landed. This is the first time she has come to Mexico by herself so I was worried.
We finally catch a cab and in my bad Spanish say airport which he looks confused at.
Come on!!!! I can’t even say airport right so people sort of know what I’m saying???
Man this stinks!! So I do the airplane sounds and make airplane take off signs with my hand so now he gets it!!! Yay!! Off we go
The whole way there however I’m wondering if really he understands because we go a way I have never gone to the airport. But we get there.
As his is going on I’m on the phone with Chad and he’s trying his best to keep me calm.
I ask him what terminal and he tell me he’s on a website with all the flight info and its terminal 2....well I get off at terminal 2 and run up and down yelling Shannon...Shannon!!! No Shannon any where...just then my cell phone rings (I’m an hour late) and it’s Shannon THANK GOODNESS she has borrowed someone’s cell phone to call me and just by chance had Chad’s cell phone number on her cell phone because she forgot mine at home!
¨Shannon Thank goodness¨, I say ¨where are you¨. she´s at terminal 3. I tell her I’m on my way and start trying to figure out how I’m going to get to terminal 3.I find someone who speaks English again and tells me it’s a 15 min walk and there are no taxis anywhere so Jamin and I run.
We find her there no problem and tell her what’s going on. CRAZY
So now we are going to get a taxi to get back to Costco and they want 60 dollars!!!
What the heck!!!!! it just cost me 20 to get there from Costco so now why is it 60 to get back??? That´s just they way it works they tell me and they lower it to 50 Forget it!!!
I going to try and find a taxi like the ones I came in on. So back to terminal 2 we walk. Just as I’m getting close someone in a tour van asks us if we need a ride and we tell him we need to get to Costco and bargains down to 40 dollars so Shannon tells him Ok lets go (its already 10pm and she’s flown all day and picked up people from the airport the night before at 1 in the morning)
We get to the parking lot and the van still won’t start..I was really hoping Jamin´s prayer and letting the stuff that I had poured in the tank would work but no luck.
I have to go to Mega and get some ice and a cheap cooler because I have frozen food that is now defrosting and everyone goes pee because the store is about to close.

Now I have no idea what were going to do just then Chad calls and says he managed to get Keltie on the computer and get her to go over to our wonderful neighbors JamKat and ask them to come and rescue us. So we wait for then to make the hour long trek to Cancun. When Jamie gets there he can't figure what’s going on so we take everything of value out of the van and drive back home. We all get to bed at 3 am.
WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT THEM!!!

Next morning Chad tells me he wants me to go talk to the head of security he lives in Cancun so maybe he know of someone or somewhere it take it.
So I go talk to him and he does even better, he says his brother will meet me at Costco with a mechanic at noon. So back I go over to JamKat´s to see if they will drive me back to Costco AGAIN!! Man I feel so bad. They have already helped me out so much already since Chad has been gone.

When we get to Costco there is Seisto´s brother and two other mechanics waiting!!! I LOVE Mexico.
They fiddle around and find out that the fuel pump has come unplugged... they crawl under the van and plug it in DONE! It starts right up no problem. I’m thinking it must have came unplugged from driving over all the potholes and topes over the past few months. Now the best part is they want 100 pesos (10 bucks) I give him another 8 they are happy and I am SO HAPPY! But….
I STILL WANT MY HUSBAND!!!!

I go into Costco and try and get some more money out so I can pay Jamie for some gas. For some reason I cannot for the life of me remember my pin number, I try it three times and then call Chad to ask him what it is, he cant remember for sure and tells me not to try it again or it will eat my card. This is when I start bawling. I’m way too tired!!!!

When I get back Shannon has burnt herself to a crisp in the weirdest way you can possibly imagine. Some how she has all sorts of stripes, indentations, and red patches all over her body. It was So completely strange and she has no idea how she did it. She thought she put 15 all over. Its puffing up and her ankles are swelling so we get some Aloe plant and ice to try and sooth the swelling.
Day 2 over!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is some exciting tale - I only heard part of the story from Chad - just think how your descendants will laugh when they read this stuff!!

Anonymous said...

Haha. Wow, that is the most comical thing i've heard in a long time your such a dumb broad!!! Just Wow. Firstly woman yellow means stop. not speed up to make the light thats why why you shoulda got your ass fined. you ra n a red light and if i ever see you in cancun i'll probably call the cops myself because im sure you'll be breaking all sorts of laws.