Sunday, May 3, 2009

Heading back to Canada

When this flu thing started to happen I first heard about it from the girls and immediately told them it was the stupid media once again …just like Canada and the mad cow disease and SARS. The W.H.O freaking everyone out and no one wanting to come to Canada or eat beef. And that’s all I thought about it. (We have no TV and I am not on the internet that much)
A few days later Chad and I go into town for date night and all the people in the grocery store are wearing surgical face masks. Now I’m a little curious what’s going on.
During the movie we get a phone call from Grandma Bectell, so I call her back and she tells me some of the things she has been hearing on the news. And that Chad’s Great grandparents died a day apart of each other in the Pandemic in 1920.
I tried to settle her fears the best I could telling her we were 20+ hours from Mexico City and we are in a little secluded area and that the tourist season was over so not much was going on here.
That’s when I thought I’d better get on the computer and check things out. LOL
Well all I can say is after you read all the different information who knows what is true and what isn’t. When this happens I try and take it somewhere in the middle.

We were planning to head back to Canada in three weeks anyway, and with all the crazy things that were happening, I was staring to wonder if people were going to keep a level head or go off the deep end. Flights were getting cancelled talks of closing borders, etc.
Originally Chad was suppose to go back to Canada and work for 3 week then we were going to pack up, fly the girls back, Chad the boys and I drive back.
So when it went to level 5 we decided to head back earlier. I really didn’t want Chad to leave me here alone and have something happen and not be able to get back down. (If he didn’t need to go back to work we would have all just stayed here)
So on Tuesday the kids and I are all flying back and he is going to drive. That way he should be able to go faster and not have to stop a bunch for the kids and me.
Hopefully the borders are not too crazy!

We have been very busy packing up and getting ready to go. Half of our place is out doors so with Hurricane season coming up it all has to be put away.
I am trying to stay positive about leaving early thinking at least Sabie will be able to get a few more harp lessons in before her exam.
And since they have cancelled Church today due to outbreak prevention, I am all caught up on my blog! YEAH

1 comment:

Puat Ppsk said...

Yep, I was wondering what was going on with you guys. Pretty much what I thought. Good on ya! Media frenzy!!! It's so crazy. Hopefully we'll see you this summer.